So documentaries are a perfect fit for me. With a husband who loves watching movies, documentaries have been our meeting ground this past year. My love for this genre has grown, from initial laughs at Spellbound and Mad Hot Ballroom to increasing social and environmental concern through the likes of The Cove (truly disturbing at times, and yet much more watchable for me than a made-up Hollywood story - although I now am not sure that I will ever be able to visit Sea World again). Especially the first few months of Ruby's life, we watched many documentaries. It was kind of fun to think back as I write this over the ones that have made an influence on me and my family or just simply been a source of enjoyment for us. A brief selection, with their Netflix descriptions.....
1. No Impact Man - this movie kind of got me re-interested in the genre after my initial introduction through the above-mentioned..... In my old age, I am becoming more and more interested in ways that I can personally make changes to become more green. Since my husband refuses to paint our roof white, I valued this movie for the small ideas that it does introduce as well as the bigger ones.
A Fifth Avenue family goes very green when writer Colin Beavan leads his wife, Michelle Conlin, and their baby daughter on a yearlong crusade to make no net impact on the environment in this engaging documentary. Among their activities: eating only locally grown organic food, generating no trash except for compost and using no carbon-fueled transportation.
A personal highlight from the movie - when Colin decides to throw out all of his wife's make-up.
2. A Man Named Pearl - I will just allow Netflix to explain:
Angered by white residents' racist comments that he wouldn't "keep up his yard," Pearl Fryar teaches himself topiary sculpture and becomes the first African American in his Bishopville, S.C., neighborhood to win the coveted "yard of the month" award. This acclaimed documentary traces Fryar's inspiring story, as he grows into a legendary horticulturist, welcoming thousands of tourists eager to catch a glimpse of his stunning works of art.
Part of what I love about this movie aside from Pearl's amazing talents are his faith in God, his relationship with his wife, and his character demonstrating humility and goodwill towards others.
3. Babies - This one must be mentioned for sentimental reasons. We watched this movie about three weeks after Ruby was born. I remember little from this season in life but I do remember Matt and I laughing throughout this film. I also remember Matt using this movie to support his view that babies are much more resilient than we may have initially thought. I am looking forward to watching it again soon in my less sleep deprived state, with all the wisdom that one year of mothering has taught me:)
Documentary filmmaker Thomas Balmes charts the simultaneous early development of four babies from different parts of the world, illustrating what makes human life unique, similar and precious wherever it occurs. Training his camera on newborns Hattie from San Francisco, Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia and Mari from Tokyo, Balmes captures everything from first screaming breaths to first steps.
A personal highlight includes a scene where the mom from Mongolia who just delivered her baby rides off on the back of a motorcycle with her swaddled newborn.
4. Chops - I love documentaries about elementary, middle, high school kids - I think they are wonderful, capturing all kinds of fun in the growing up process. Because we love jazz music, this one was especially fun for us:
Plus I love rooting for the underdog.
And finally,
5. Nursery University - We watched this one over the last two nights in parts.
Follow five families through the harrowing process of applying to nursery school in New York City, where hypercompetitive parents and elite institutions have made pricey consultants and toddler tutors part of the admissions process. Marc H. Simon's insightful documentary uses wry humor and drama to examine the increasingly common belief that securing entrance to the "right" preschool classroom is a critical first step to success.
Having seen half the movie on Sunday, I went to church that night and commented to several friends about the ridiculousness of this competitive preschool system, etc. Very judgmental of me, and I repent today. After watching the second half of this documentary last night, I just really loved the movie. As a parent, you cannot help but relate to strangers who are looking out for the best interests of their children. And Netflix rightfully described it as a feel-good movie because it reminded me that most of us out there love our children very much. What a great common bond. And exactly why I love documentaries.
I love this! Thanks for sharing, Kathleen. I especially liked your notes about your personal highlights - none of which surprised me. And I'll take the blame (or the credit because I think it's funny) for the Ironman incident. I think we were the ones who talked to you into seeing it with us. :)
ReplyDeleteThe Kautzis are responsible for better (The King's Speech) or worse (Benjamin Button - still kind of creeps me out a little:) for expanding my movie repertoire beyond the above.... for which I am very thankful. As is Matt, who otherwise only gets to see things rated G with me:) And always a good time is had!
ReplyDeletehilarious. you are funny kathleen...
ReplyDeletebut i want to watch all these movies!
I have one for you! I have one for you! I haven't seen it yet but I think it might be right up your alley. It's called "Buck". If you see it, let me know what you think!! Miss you!
ReplyDelete