I would not say I am obsessed with it. Nor do I order much if anything from it. But for some reason, browsing the pages of the catalog is very soothing to me. I think because it is slightly mindless to look at those pages. And comforting. And makes me look forward to the holidays. And helps me fall asleep. And those are OK things. And if Pottery Barn were to offer to redo my house for free, I would not turn them down. I also admire their marketing skills, the words they choose, like offering you "easy," "comfortable," "inspiring," "everyday-use" and "luxury" all in the same page. I was a marketing major in college, and since I have never used that degree for an actual job or even internship, I like to every once in awhile see if I can still pull out my former vocabulary and analysis skills to see through what I am being sold on. But that is a side note.
I had a tough time sleeping last night because I had this weird dream that someone was hunting me down (maybe partially because I did not look at the Pottery Barn catalog before I went to bed). And when I woke from this dream, I began to worry. That Ruby would fall down stairs today and hit her head. This is a very common one (common worry). Especially these days now that she is walking and interested in stairs. I also worry about fires. Or when it was just me and Matt, before Ruby was born, that he would get in a car accident on the way to work. Ironically. Or many other worries. I am a little overtired as I write this from not sleeping well, and may be more free with what I am saying than I would typically be. Which may not be a bad thing.
Just reading my friend Jami's blog now, I was very challenged about this whole worry thing. That if you have read my posts before you may have noticed is an undercurrent in my life. I will even quote her so as not to miss the gist of her thoughts: "i want to change my desire to control things that are not in my control and will never be... it is not for me to think that i am bigger than God and that i know more than Him.
it just isn't.
oh. huh. it doesn't all depend on me...that kinda feels great to know that.
so my favorite quote from the weekend...
At your worst, God gives his best."
And I realized that if I were somehow able to remove worry from my life (a.k.a. feeling a lack of control and not trusting God to give his best), there would be such a large gaping hole of space for other things in my life that it might take a million Pottery Barn catalogs to fill. Or maybe some other more worthwhile things. If worry were to instantaneously disappear from my family, my marriage, and my life, I am not sure what things would be like. This struggle I carry in our marriage affects both of us, affects Ruby - we have rules like I am only allowed to bring up a worry so many times before we are done talking about it. Sounds harsh, but is actually a pretty loving thing to do. Worry is kind of my comfortable place. Am I willing to give up the comfortable for the uncomfortable? I don't know if I will always fight anxiety or if the fight will look different over time.... I do know that I need God to help me. His grace is sufficient. I think I am too chicken to add the link to this post to my facebook page. That's all right. I'm proud I had the guts to write it here tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment