Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ramblings....

We have a walker in the house now - a 15 stepper, no guts, no glory, little peanut who thinks she's big stuff when she takes off across the room.... and she is. She keeps revealing little aspects of her personality - the later in the day it gets, the more of a daredevil she becomes. Almost like an overtired happy little track runner, sort of - hands waving wildly up in the air, steps getting faster and faster to get where she intends to go....
I listened to a song a lot when Ruby was first born by Chris Rice called "Untitled Hymn". It has a part when the lyrics talk about a baby learning to walk - singing about "remember when we walk, sometimes we fall....so fall on Jesus." I have thought about that part of the song often as I've watched this process - because while she's learning to walk, Ruby falls many, many, many times. And she gets up over and over again. Except when she's tired, or the fall was too hard and then she reaches up for one of us.
I looked at my "stats" just now on my blog and felt a mix of emotions - one part of me thought, wow, compared to so-and-so I don't have that many views (honest part). The other part of me laughed because somebody in Alaska has viewed our little blog, and I don't know why, but I just enjoy that.
I have been reading some things lately that have me thinking - a book by Ann Voskamp called One Thousand Gifts and a friend's blog where she regularly writes her posts about what she is grateful for. And I think God is trying to tell me something as I read these things. But I also think He told me something a long time ago, when I read something written by John and Stasi Eldgredge - "You have one life to live. It would be best to live your own."
It is a very small, simple example and maybe an odd comparison - but watching Ruby fall reminds me of my attempts at blogging. Because in blogging, I am attempting to talk about what I see, what I am learning, where we are going, what I feel like Jesus is saying to me. Sometimes I do it well. Sometimes I make it where I intend to go when I start out. And sometimes I am being myself, and sometimes I am not.
So I come back to remind myself that this blog does not have to be like anyone else's. I am glad somebody from Alaska wandered in here (accidentally? welcome!), but I really enjoyed stumbling across this on Ann Voskamp's site... A Blogger's Prayer. As a physical therapist, they told us in school that we would start watching people walk. That sounds kind of creepy - but that we would notice the differences between how different people take steps to get somewhere. And Ruby is going to have a different way of getting somewhere than me, than Matt, than anyone else out there. A unique gait. I hope that as she is learning this that her mama is learning that it is OK that her gait is unique too. That my walk through life is going to be different than anyone else's. That what I choose to share here can be my own.
I didn't really think out this post when I started it. Which is sort of unlike me. But feels a little daredevil myself. And I may not sit here and reread it ten times to see if I like how it sounds, and check it for typos, and rework it. For today, I am just going to hit "publish" and be glad.

2 comments:

  1. this post is so great, kathleen. it is so good to just sit there and write and see what comes out. it is your story. and that is why i love blogging. people are in it for followers and to top someone elses blog, but i love blogs because you get to tell your story to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, this was great to read. At first, I thought to myself, "man, if I were posting this, it wouldn't be nearly as positive. I would be complaining about every little thing". But then after thinking for a little bit, I realize that no matter what is going on in your life, there is a 100% chance that there is something to celebrate, and subsequently the thing to focus on.

    I know that we go through our days ebbing and flowing to what's going on around us. For that reason though, it's important that we focus on the positives, and move past the negatives.

    Thank you for inspiring me today.

    ReplyDelete