
Ruby likes to stand. It is something I credit Matt with teaching her to love - he cheers her on so enthusiastically when she does it, and she gets this big smile on her face..... so proud of herself.
We spent part of the weekend hanging out at Matt's parents' house with his extended family. I walked in to the family room to see what was going on - and there was my small daughter standing on my husband's lap, with both arms fully extended up in the air, looking like she was cheering on the players in the NFL game that they were watching on TV. It delighted me. Not the NFL game, but to see her looking so victorious and happy. It's like she's saying, "I can DO it. I am small, but I am so strong. Don't tell me I can't."
I am going to need to remember that - in fact I need to start learning it even now. Because she is going to come in some day and ask to bounce on the trampoline, or ride her bike to her friend's house, or fly to Europe, or move to another country, and I am not going to want to let her. I fear that I will tell her something that is untrue, that she is too little, or it's too far, or anything other than the truth that I will be the one that is scared.
When I was about 7 months pregnant with Ruby, we realized that the way my belly was measuring was probably going to mean a small baby. Our friend Chris said at one point that this little one might be small in stature, but could be mighty in spirit. Ruby, don't let me tell you otherwise.
So so so powerful. Well said. And TRUE. She will show you how brave and strong she is, and I'd venture to bet, she'll show you that you are too. love you.
ReplyDeleteIt was so fun being with you guys this weekend. Ruby is such a little doll baby! What a great post, Kathleen...spoken like a true mother ;-)
ReplyDelete